At 1800-GOT-JUNK? we believe that together we can make a difference for future generations by focusing on responsible environmental practices today. Across the six franchises in Australia, all of our teams are passionate about ensuring as much rubbish as possible is kept out of the local tip.
What 1800-GOT-JUNK? does with your rubbish
After our clean, shiny trucks drive off with your unwanted items, there are five places that your rubbish could end up:
1. Recycling depot: Each of our Franchises have a depot where items can be sorted for reuse , recycle or donation. Even if an item seems like it can’t be reused, our teams can often strip the item and recycle its parts. Our teams can recycle green waste, bricks and concrete, clothing, metals, paper and cardboard products, tyres, electronic waste, appliances, and more!
2. Local charities: Some items that are in good condition may end up with local charities or donation centers. However many of our franchises actually have their own depots where they can store gently used items until they find a new home.
3. Transfer station: Our teams will also take rubbish to transfer stations, where items get sorted and then sent onto other facilities to be recycled. Items can be sent here right away or it can act as a secondary step after our teams have recycled what they can.
4. Waste-to-energy: In some of our franchises where local facilities operate, some items that can’t be recycled are converted into energy through incineration, fermentation, or other methods. The end result is energy that can be used for heat, electricity, and fuel.
5. Landfill: We divert as many items as possible from ending up in the tip through our various recycling, reuse and donating practices.
While specific recycling and donation practices differ from franchise to franchise, you can rest assured that wherever you are in Australia our teams will do whatever they can to dispose of your unwanted items in an environmentally responsible way.