At 1800-GOT-JUNK? we believe that together we can make a difference for future generations by focusing on responsible environmental practices today. Across the six franchises in Australia, all of our teams are passionate about donating and recycling, ensuring as much rubbish as possible is kept out of the local tip.
What 1800-GOT-JUNK? does with your rubbish
After our clean, shiny trucks drive off with your unwanted items, there are five places that your rubbish could end up:
1. Local charities: Anything we haul away that is still in good condition can be sorted out and given to local charities or donation centers. If donation centers are at capacity, many of our franchises actually have their own depots where they can store gently used items until they find a new home.
2. Recycling depot: If items aren’t in usable condition our teams will bring them directly to a recycling depot. Even if an item seems like it can’t be recycled, our teams can strip the item and recycle its parts. Our teams can recycle green waste, metals, glass, paper products, tyres, electronic waste, appliances, and more!
3. Transfer station: Our teams will also take rubbish to transfer stations, where items get sorted and then sent onto other facilities to be recycled. Items can be sent here right away or it can act as a secondary step after our teams have recycled what they can.
4. Waste-to-energy: Some items that can’t be recycled are converted into energy through incineration, fermentation, or other methods. The end result is energy that can be used for heat, electricity, and fuel.
5. Landfill: We deter as many items as possible from ending up in the tip through our various recycling and donating practices.
While specific recycling and donation practices differ from franchise to franchise, you can rest assured that wherever you are in Australia our teams will do whatever they can to dispose of your unwanted items in an environmentally responsible way.