Mattress disposal and removal services
Getting rid of your old mattress can be a daunting task—they’re big, cumbersome and always seem to do the opposite of what you need when you’re trying to transport them. To make matters more complicated, it’s never as simple as just throwing them away either, as they need to be disposed of properly. Enter the experts at 1800-GOT-JUNK?.
Why choose 1800-GOT-JUNK? to remove and dispose of your old mattresses and box springs?
When you call the friendly professionals at 1800-GOT-JUNK?, all the hassle of clearing out your own rubbish—including those bulky mattresses—disappears. We always get the job done as efficiently as possible so you can enjoy your newly clutter-free space without having to give up your limited free time. Our crew always handles the items we take responsibly, so our customers can rest assured that their old mattress is being properly disposed of. All you have to do is point, and we’ll do all the heavy lifting for you! We’re in your neighborhood, so find a 1800-GOT-JUNK? location near you today.
How our service works:
- Schedule your rubbish removal service online or by calling 1800-468-586.
- Our friendly, uniformed truck team will call you 15-30 minutes before your scheduled 2-hour appointment window to let you know exactly when to expect us.
- When we arrive, we'll take a look at the items you want to be removed and provide you with an up-front all-inclusive price.
- Once you say the word, we’ll haul your items away from wherever they are located and finish by tidying up the area. We'll then collect payment once the job is complete
How our pricing works
The final cost of your rubbish removal can vary depending on what we take, how much needs to be removed, how much space it takes up in our trucks. 1800-GOT-JUNK? is always happy to provide you with an onsite, no-obligation estimate, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
We pick up and dispose your old mattresses by recycling or donating when possible
Proper disposal of old mattresses can be a difficult and expensive undertaking. They take up a lot of space in the tip and are hard to compact, making recycling the better option if possible. Fortunately, many of the materials within mattresses can be recycled—up to 90%!
Many of these materials can be used to manufacture new products, including:
- Foam Padding: Can be turned into carpet underlayment, animal bed padding, or carpet padding
- Fabric and Fibers: Can be used in industrial oil filters and other textile applications
- Box springs: Can be recycled as metal scraps, used to make new appliances and building materials
- Wooden frames: Can be shredded to produce landscaping mulch or burned as an alternative fuel source
Additionally, if the mattress is in good condition, 1800-GOT-JUNK? can donate it to a local charity to make sure it gets as much use as possible.
Mattress Removal And Disposal FAQs
How to dispose of an old mattress
When it’s time to part ways with your old bed, you may be wondering how exactly to get rid of your mattress. The best way to handle it depends on what condition the mattress is in.
Here’s how you can get rid of your old mattress:
- Wrap it in a plastic covering and place it outside for rubbish removal pick-up.
- List your mattress for sale online.
- Donate your old mattress to local charities or non-profit organisations.
- Check to see if your local mattress retail store has an old mattress recycling program.
- Take your old mattress to a recycling facility.
- Break your mattress down, sort the pieces, throw away the rubbish, and reuse the wood.
- Call a rubbish removal company, like 1800-GOT-JUNK?, to handle the heavy lifting for you.
Remember, mattresses should only be thrown in a landfill as a last resort.
How do I recycle a mattress?
If you’re looking to recycle your mattress, there are a number of private and council-driven programs that help with mattress recycling. Some more popular programs include:
- Council hard rubbish collection
- Mattress recycling facilities
- Resource recovery centres
- Secondhand or thrifts stores
- Charity organisations
- Homeless shelters
If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of finding a place to recycle your old bed, call 1800-GOT-JUNK?. Our locations handle mattress disposal properly, and recycle whenever possible. All you have to do is point!
How do you cut up a mattress for disposal?
Due to the size of mattresses, many council rubbish collections will only accept mattresses on hard rubbish collection days. However, if you’re planning on throwing out your mattress with your regular collection, you should break it down first.
Here’s how you can cut up an old mattress for disposal:
- If you’re breaking down a box spring, remove the plastic coverings and staples connecting the fabric to the frame.
- Cut any seams on the mattress edge and remove any buttons holding the fabric in place.
- Pull the seams to remove.
- Pull the fabric sides from the mattress.
- Pull off the top layer of fabric.
- Remove the padding, foam, and fabric layer from the mattress and place in disposable bags.
- Cut the metal springs into small pieces and place aside for recycling.
- Use a saw or nail remover to break down the wooden frame.
- Collect the unused wood for recycling or reuse.
Will the council pick up my mattress for free?
Many councils offer free hard-rubbish collections for items such as mattresses, old furniture, e-waste, whitegoods, and more. If you’re not sure if this service is offered in your area, contact your local council to learn more about booking a mattress pick-up.
Can you put mattresses in a skip?
No, generally you can’t put mattresses into a skip bin. Skip bins aren’t the best option when it comes to getting rid of regular household items, as they can be costly and require you to do all the loading yourself. Mattresses can be tricky to dispose of on your own, so it’s worth considering hiring a professional rubbish removal company to handle it for you. At 1800-GOT-JUNK?, we can get that mattress (and any other items you need to get rid of) out of your way in no time. You won’t need to lift a finger! We’ll remove the items right from where they are located, load them into our truck, and make sure everything is either donated, recycled, or properly disposed of.
Mattresses & Beds We Take
We take just about any non-hazardous items necessary during our rubbish removal process, and when it comes to mattresses and beds, what we’ll haul away includes the following:
- Inner-Spring Mattresses
- Foam Mattresses
- Box Springs
- Old Cushions
- Memory Foam Mattresses
- Gel & Pillow Top Mattresses
- Water Or Air Beds
- Latex Mattresses
- Adjustable Base Mattresses
- Mattress Foundations
- Platform Beds